Rate Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Confession #2
#86813 03/24/05 03:39 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well since Ray has made a formal declaration, I might as well confess to those who are unaware of the fact, that I've had Rocket 850s, an RSC200 "Bigfoot" center channel, and a UFW-10 subwoofer, for a couple of months now, with a pair of RSS300 surrounds, an Emotiva Ultra Light preamp and amplifier, and an RDES (Rocket Digital Equalization System for subwoofer equalization), yet to come.

Believe it or not, this is all a gift from Mark Schifter, the owner of Onix/Rocket. It's a long story, but to sum up, Mark decided to give a Home Theater Makeover to some deserving person. Unbeknown to me, Craig Chase (Craigsub) submitted my name. And, much to my surprise, I was chosen. I have been reluctant to talk about it for two reasons.

One, I wished to avoid the inevitable "which is better" question. For, no matter which way I answered, I ran the risk of offending people who are my GOOD friends, and about whom I care a great deal. Fortunately, the truth is, they are both excellent speakers, with a, IMHO, slightly different sound. Each brings positives and negatives to the table, and I could be happy with either one in my home.

Secondly,Mark has already been accused by his enemies of doing this strictly as a marketing ploy, by luring an owner and advocate of a competitor's product into his camp thereby turning me into a Rocket shill. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Mark made no attempt to publicize this other than on his own forum. I even offered to notify the local media, thinking they might find a story like this interesting. He didn't even bother to respond. When he came to my home to set up this system, he quietly took me aside and told me he expected NO comparison of the Rockets to the Axioms, and I have judiciously avoided making any. I don't think for one minute that Mark had anything like that in mind, but regardless, I have hardly turned into a Rocket Shill. Recently, in a thread at AVS where a poster asked about the Rockets and another brand (Paradigm?) I suggested the Axioms when he mentioned that the speakers would be concealed so finish and looks didn't matter to him. I am, and always will be, a supporter of Axiom the company, Axiom the product, and Axiom the forum. Though I DO lust after the soon-to-be-released Rocket UFW-12 sub woofer, I equally lust after an EP500 or EP600, NONE of which is even a remote possibility, budgetwise.

Mark's enemies has opted to disparage him for alleged manipulation, rather than praise him for simply doing a kind and generous thing for another human being. It disgusts me.

If you're REALLY interested, you can go to this thread and read all about it. There are photos of Mark, and Craig, who drove in from Erie, Pa, and, yes, even our own Ray, who drove all the way from Rochester to share in the fun. We had a ball

Cast of characters:

Rijax/Ajax - Dat's me
Mark L. Schifter - Mark L. Schifter
BigCigar - Craig Chase (Craigsub)
Ray3 - Yup. It's him.

It's a long thread, but if you just stick to the posts by the above, and look at the pics (pages 4, 5, &11), you'll get a good idea of how, who, what, when, and where.

You got questions or comments, fire away. I'll answer any and all EXCEPT "which is better"?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Confession #2
#86814 03/24/05 04:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Schill away.
So which is better?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#86815 03/24/05 04:06 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
LOL! Have I mentioned, lately, that you're a pain in the butt!

Jack

#86816 03/24/05 04:23 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Jack, I remain entertained by your writing skills, humbled by your integrity and grateful for your friendship.

Maybe you and Ray need to say a Rosary or something.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#86817 03/24/05 05:24 PM
devotee
devotee
Wow, I just spent an hour reading that thread. There was no mention, however, about the Emotiva products. I bet those things are some impressive amps. I bet they make those Rockets sing.

So you seem to have found that the Rockets are able to make great recordings like Diana Krall sound amazing while also making bad recordings sound great as well?

You really ought to check out the Elton John SACD's if you are at all a fan. I own all 6 of them and think that they are absolutely amazing.

#86818 03/24/05 05:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ajax,
Everything and everyone seems to get bogged down in competition. Which system sounds better? Which system looks better? Frankly, if you're happy with it, who cares?
Although I'm new to the board, I've been reading it for a long time. I understand your trepidation, but I think we're a pretty inclusive bunch. I think. . .
Have fun enjoying your new system!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#86819 03/24/05 05:43 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thank you Tom and Sean.

Snippy, I 'm not sure what you mean by "There was no mention, however, about the Emotiva products" In the very first post Mark says "...with EMOTIVA UL's picking up the rear later in April..."

The ULs have not been released yet, and Mark ASKED if it would be OK with me if he sent them to those who payed for them before he sent me mine. I think there has been some delays, so I'm not looking for mine until "whenever."

If you want to read about the Emotiva ULs, go here.

Jack

#86820 03/24/05 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow!

Two thoughts:

1. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy, and I'm not saying that just because I owe you money .

2. Nice to see the photo and put faces to the names.

enjoy !

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#86821 03/24/05 07:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack - I've got the exact same DVD storage - mission style, light cherry. Great piece, isn't it?

Congrats, by the way. Who ever said there's no free lunch? And the Rockets do look very pretty.

#86822 03/24/05 07:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ray and Jack,

You know I have the utmost respect for the two of you. Your honesty and conduct are examples of the best.

I have one question about posting these decisions out in the open. How do you think potential Axioms or newbies will react to these posts in the Axiom forum?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters