Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12699 Members
11 Forums
22682 Topics
400455 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17696
pmbuko 16224
SirQuack 13311
CV 11058
MarkSJohnson 10675
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91054 - 05/02/05 11:33 PM Re: want some new gear for stereo
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

No, Mike, I believe that Rick's analysis is correct; and no, the current is being supplied by the one power supply section of the amplifier or receiver and more doesn't somehow become available when two channels of output transistors are used instead of one.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#91055 - 05/03/05 03:25 AM Re: want some new gear for stereo
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
If the first watt isn't great, who cares how many more like it the amp puts out.

#91056 - 05/03/05 11:43 AM Re: want some new gear for stereo
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
I always thought that saying was a bit ridiculous. After all, how does one separate the first watt from the rest?

#91057 - 05/03/05 12:21 PM Re: want some new gear for stereo
BrenR Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
In reply to:

After all, how does one separate the first watt from the rest?

New England Wattdogs. Used by watt ranglers as far back as the early 19th century. Born and bred for their ability to herd watts by nipping at their heels.

Bren R.

#91058 - 05/03/05 12:34 PM Re: want some new gear for stereo
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
but there would be two different circuits from different power supplies (two different amps).

and by the way, I'm not trying to be argumentive or disagreeable. And I'm not concerned - at all- about not having enough current or wattage. at this point I'm simple trying to learn.

#91059 - 05/03/05 02:29 PM Re: want some new gear for stereo
BrenR Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
In reply to:

but there would be two different circuits from different power supplies (two different amps).

You used the term bi-wire instead of bi-amp. You're refering to using one amp to drive each speaker (or one amp to drive each of the sections - tweeters and woofers) which is where I think this got off track.

Bi-wire - one amp, two sets of wires.
Bi-amp - two amps, two sets of wires.

Bren R.

#91060 - 05/03/05 05:30 PM Re: want some new gear for stereo
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Ya, exactly.....

It's not what I say, it's what I mean..LOL

#91061 - 05/04/05 02:23 AM Re: want some new gear for stereo
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
You don't understand? Oh, you don't believe there is any audible difference between solid state amps so the significant variable for you is wattage?

I sometimes putter while listening to music from my garage system - used to use a Kenwood KA 9100 with twin power meters. Even driving a heavy load like a pair of Dahlquist DQM 905s, I rarely saw the power meter read higher than 3-5 watts. So, I don't think the number of watts an amp is rated at is the most significant value. It's the quality of the output. Now, there are some who believe there is no difference in sound quality between similarly spec'd amps. I disagree. So, the saying refers to the distinction between quantity and quality.

BTW if you use a solid state amp other than the T Amp, I wouldn't use an amp rated at fewer than 15 wpc to avoid clipping damage. If you use a tube amp, you can get by with 2 watts per channel.

In reply to:

Poster: pmbuko

I always thought that saying was a bit ridiculous. After all, how does one separate the first watt from the rest?

#91062 - 05/04/05 02:40 AM Re: want some new gear for stereo
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
My criticism was of the semantics of the saying, not its intended meaning. I agree with what you're getting at, which is -- correct me if I'm wrong -- wattage ratings (beyond a certain minimum) are no guarantee of superior sound.

#91063 - 05/04/05 03:19 AM Re: want some new gear for stereo
JohnK Offline

Peter, my thought about that old saying would be that it's certainly valid if simply taken literally, i.e. if an amplifier was so poorly designed that even at 1 watt it had problems with noise or variations in frequency response and wasn't transparent, the ability to put out a lot more equally flawed watts wouldn't make it acceptable. What would be ridiculous would be an implication that a correctly designed amplifier, either solid state or tube, with flat response and inaudibly low noise and distortion, would nevertheless be distinguishable from another meeting the same standards. Blind listening tests indicate that there's no factual basis for this, and when we have to trust our ears alone, the differences previously claimed disappear.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.