Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
1 registered (Dundas), 147 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12679 Members
11 Forums
22680 Topics
400419 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17695
pmbuko 16222
SirQuack 13311
CV 11056
MarkSJohnson 10670
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93781 - 05/14/05 09:54 AM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
AshBoomstick Offline
aficionado

Loc: Richmond, VA
correct, the difference in the power grid at night is later on when people start going to bed and common household loads gets turned off the voltage goes higher. but the power plants adjust voltage back down in short order, so the effect on a stereo system should be negligible.

#93782 - 05/14/05 11:28 AM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Iím confused, are you just making a point, agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or think I think I know everything?. Well if you do, Iím not making any claims regarding SQ. And I do not know everything, didnít claim to, have no intention to do so either. Iím one of the dumbest SOBís I know. Just ask one of my X-wives and theyíll confirm that. So, Iím not going to go on about how many generators Iíve sincíed and tied on, or how many times Iíve seen power factor fluctuations, or how many times Iíve seen dips and bounces in the buss.

Iíll just tell ya that the substation feeding your area probably see times during peak user hours when heavy user instantaneous power demands may cause cycle drops on the grid feeding your substation. It all depends on the subís capacity, feed, and who the peak users are, and what they are powering up. 220/240/208V going into your meter will not change, but you can bet on cycle fluctuations. More so during these peak user hours.

So your observation with your tube amps may in fact be happening. I donít doubt it. But I wouldnít expect you to notice it over a Ďgeneralí period of time. Cycle fluctuations are immediate, and generators compensate very quickly. It may be that your substation is grossly under capacity, especially if your area has seen some significant development recently. And if this is happening, you and your neighbors would most likely be experiencing brown outs and seeing an unusually high failure rate on electronic devises throughout your homes. TVís and telephones are prime candidates. They are the first to go in my home.

#93783 - 05/14/05 01:09 PM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
No, no mdrew, I was not referring to you at all. I was responding to your post as one which is open minded.

I don't know whether a different recepticle, power cord, power conditioner, etc. can make a difference in SQ. I'm just open to the possibility. I used the difference in sound quality at night as an example of a possible noticeable difference in SQ which might be attributable to power.

I sure don't have an EE background. I can solder tweaks to my sound equipment without setting myself on fire and know enough not to take electrical appliances into the bathtub with me.

If it sounded otherwise, sorry - I'll watch out for making late night posts. No offense meant mdrew!!

#93784 - 05/14/05 02:29 PM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital gr
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
There's a big difference between 'open minded' and 'giving credence to disproven ideas'.... It smacks of what's going on in the Kansas education system at the moment.

#93785 - 05/14/05 03:32 PM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
ratpack Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Alabama
Folks: the bottom line is that the power supply of any modern receiver should "take out" all power fluctuations except major "brown or black" outs. I seem to recall 10% fluctuation as the number, but that was a long time ago. Maybe someone can quote the capabilities of current power supplies. The surges in your primary AC power are compensated, in part, by the capacitors in your power supply.

Unless there is REALLY something strange going on, you should NOT see any difference cause by your power company.

The Rat.

#93786 - 05/14/05 10:35 PM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
So... coming in late and reading the entire thread at once, I think the message is that "hospital grade outlets give cleaner power because they are wired up to cleaner power in the hospital". The only benefit of the outlet itself (without the special wiring) is better plug retention and better ability to survive cola spills without disintegrating into sludge.

Spending a few $$ making sure your HT system isn't on the same circuit as the air conditioner, florescent lights, garage door opener or aquarium pump probably IS worth doing.

#93787 - 05/15/05 12:44 PM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
AshBoomstick Offline
aficionado

Loc: Richmond, VA
and there's the "Sportscenter" version of it folks, just the highlights! good summary.

#93788 - 05/16/05 09:03 AM Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
bigjohn Offline
connoisseur

Loc: San Angelo, TX
In reply to:

Sportscenter

DA-DA-DUN..DA-DA-DUN..

bigjohn

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.