Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 30 of 101 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 100 101
Re: wine thread
michael_d #95677 11/26/06 05:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We went through Stags Leap District on Friday, there are 15 wineries in that district that are known for their world class Cabernets, we were able to visit five, Silverado being one of them.
One of the little facts that I learned while out there, is that their Cabs have a bolder taste than the Napa Valley area Vineyards, apparently due to the fact that they have a different water table, even though their vinyards in that valley run almost parallel to the main Napa wineries.
I'll be posting soon our favorites from our trip as well as our thoughts on the wine train.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Re: wine thread
HomeDad #95678 11/26/06 03:36 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
That’s great that you got by Silverado. They are one of my all time favorite wineries. I love their Cab. Their 99 is THE bottle that got me drinking cabs several years ago.

Wine trip with a couple pics.
michael_d #95679 11/27/06 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The week went by to fast, to many wineries not enough time. I want to thank everybody for their suggestions, I was able to taste all but a couple of the wines suggested and all lived up to the hype, the only ones I couldn't find to taste were the Lamborn Zin and the Cakebreads, although I did purchase a Cakebread Cab and Merlot to be tasted later. Sonoma was skipped this year in order to take the kids to the Jelly Belly factory and the wife to the Napa Outlet Mall. I'll give our thoughts on the winetrain, our favorite buys and a couple pics. since everybody seems to like pictures.
The wine train was one of the highlights of the trip, the cars are elegantly restored, the food is gourmet quality. There are several choices of cars that you can choose to ride on depending on if you want a 4 course meal or if you just want to order from a menu. No matter what car you choose you are free to roam all the cars on the train. My favorite was the wine tasting car, for $5.00 you are able to taste 4 wines of your choice of the 30 or so different wineries represented, for $15.00 dollars, my wife and I were able to share tastes from 12 different wineries, compared to the cost of tasting in Napa where the prices run from $10.00 to $50.00 dollars a tasting depending on the vintage that's quite a bargain.
I would recommend this trip to anyone thinking about visiting Napa, it was well worth it.

Some of our favorite wineries that we visited and purchased from.
Cabs- Siverado, Silver Oak, Constantino, we purchased their Cabs and a few others, all their wines were outstanding.
Merlot- Markham, to me their 2000 reserve was one of the best Merlots I have ever tasted, we bought 1/2 a case.
Hagafen- Very tasty reserve Zin, small boutique winery
Sangiovese- Luna, great wine
Red Wine-Chimney Rock, winery in the Stags Leap Dist. their Levage was one of the best wines I had on this trip.
This was just our personal favorites of the many wineries visited, we needed another week

The wife, kids,and father in-law in front of Mondavi

The kids favorite, ariel tram to Sterling Winery

The Take

Re: Wine trip with a couple pics.
HomeDad #95680 11/27/06 09:53 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'm glad you liked the Markham Merlot. My tastes have been verified! But seriously -- I am completely jealous of your trip, and your newly augmented wine collection.

HomeDad #95681 11/27/06 10:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
FANTASTIC TRIP! Great haul of wines!

Now i know i have to go before the border closes behind the upcoming standard body cavity search and brainwave ID scanning.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
HomeDad #95682 11/28/06 09:24 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Sounds like you had a great trip. I’m equally jealous…..of the trip and that wonderful display of vino on your table.

I like Silver Oak too. I just don’t buy it anymore after they had a couple great years and became famous. For what they charge nowadays, I can find much better. But it’s still a damn fine wine.

So what happened at the Lamborn winery? It’s really too bad you didn’t get to visit them. They are very down to earth nice people. Plus you could have tried their new cab. A couple friends and I got a case of it shipped. It’s a special run with a limited number of cases (100 is all). We’re all just waiting for a good night to open one.

michael_d #95683 11/28/06 10:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Lamborn winery is open by appointment only, the wine train wasn't carrying their wines that trip and the wine wharehouse where I bought the Cakebreads were out also.
I figured since you were right on the mark with the Silverado, I ordered 3 bottles of their Zin yesterday from the winery

HomeDad #95684 12/07/06 03:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
3 bottles of the 2004 Lamborn Zin arrived via UPS this evening at my doorstep. So naturally that was our bottle of choice with dinner.
I'll have to concede that this is one outstanding Zin, very complex with rich black fruits and cherry, and some spicy flavor that adds to the complexity of the wine.
The wife and I loved the wine, which is saying allot since my wife is not as big a Zin fan as I am.
Needless to say, the other 2 bottles are going in the vault with our other favorite wines for a little aging, and to be opened only on special occasions.

HomeDad #95685 12/07/06 05:09 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
My two wine drinking buddies I mentioned earlier are on Lamborn's invitation only mailing list. They buy a lot of their wine and get their new vintages automatically mailed to them. Whenever they get a bottle, I supply the house and food and one of them brings over a bottle. I haven't' had a Lamborn I wasn't very much impressed with yet. Next week we are going to try their private reserve cab.

Glad you liked the zin. It would seam that we have similar tastes.

michael_d #95686 12/08/06 02:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
So i'm guessing that Lamborn won't be available in my area then eh?

Just how big is the cellar that is going to hold that mass of collectors items anyway?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 30 of 101 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020