I just finished the BD versions of “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi.” Both of these are similar upgrades in PQ and SQ from the DVD versions.

The PQ improvements aren’t always as noticeable in Empire since a lot of the scenes are filled with mist, snow or other things that would naturally obscure clear viewing.

Though the PQ of “Return of the Jedi” is improved this one seems to show the limits of its special effects technology the most. In many of the “Blue Screen” shots the actors stand out like sore thumbs, their colours being drab and washed out against the vibrant background.

A couple comments on the audio. Though my made sure all my speakers were level matched by the middle of the Empire I had bumped up the rear speakers +3dB each to get them to blend correctly with the surrounds. I also bumped up the low pass filter on the Buttkicker to 50Hz to get any meaningful rumble out of it, but it’s pretty standard to have to put it around 50Hz or so to get anything much out of most movies.