Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Axioms all set up in new house
#356385 10/08/11 05:09 PM
5 Images
connoisseur
Axioms all set up in new house

Got my Axioms, TV, and all other electronics set up in our new living room. I had to place the surrounds a little higher than I would have otherwise wanted to because of a window (but they sound great). They are a little less than 8 feet off the ground. The house was wired for surround sound during construction but the surround wires were not where I wanted them. The wall above the window is impossible to get to (exterior wall, obviously) and it is all studs from the window up to the crown molding. The other wall is exterior to the garage and insulation would make it difficult to run new speaker wire.

For now I have just placed cable raceways running the new speaker wire forward and painted it the same color as the wall. I may experiment with other options later if I get tired of looking at the wire on the wall.

The new living room makes my 50" TV look small. Will post updated pictures when we get our new TV, probably in a couple of months.
I'm probably going to run coax to the corner under the right surround speaker and move the sub back there.

18 Comments
Re: Axioms all set up in new house
CatBrat #356419 10/09/11 01:15 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Both cats are female.

-David
terzaghi #356422 10/09/11 03:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Got my Axioms, TV, and all other electronics set up in our new living room. I had to place the surrounds a little higher than I would have otherwise wanted to because of a window (but they sound great). They are a little less than 8 feet off the ground. The house was wired for surround sound during construction but the surround wires were not where I wanted them. The wall above the window is impossible to get to (exterior wall, obviously) and it is all studs from the window up to the crown molding. The other wall is exterior to the garage and insulation would make it difficult to run new speaker wire.

For now I have just placed cable raceways running the new speaker wire forward and painted it the same color as the wall. I may experiment with other options later if I get tired of looking at the wire on the wall.

The new living room makes my 50" TV look small. Will post updated pictures when we get our new TV, probably in a couple of months.
I'm probably going to run coax to the corner under the right surround speaker and move the sub back there.

Usually i don't comment on setups, but since you had mentioned one thing about the wires, it seems to me that you could run the wire back up through the wall (within the same vertical studs) toward the crown molding. Then, pop the wire out in behind the molding, run it toward the window and pop it back behind the wall to run it down toward the QS8.
This will avoid the horizontal running through any vertical studs and would be very (< 1ft) short cable fishing through the drywall.
If there are horizontal studs above the window, then skip the last step and the cable would still be mostly hidden as it runs from left to right in behind the crown molding.

Another thought about the setup, the centre channel kind of looks like it sits behind the coffee table blocking the direct line of sight.
If this is the case, you could always mount the tv on the wall up higher and put the centre channel where the tv sits now.
Just a thought.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #356426 10/09/11 04:02 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Looks great and I bet it sounds even better in the larger room, I know my system sounds better in the larger room..

I would second Chess' TV wall mount suggestion, I have mine that way and it worked the best this way for me.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #356428 10/09/11 05:15 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Jason, Yeah it does sound much better in the larger room for sure! I think the biggest advantage is that my couch is no longer on the back wall but about 2/3 of the room width (or little more, maybe 3/4?) back from the front wall.

Chess, thanks for the suggestions. When sitting, the center channel does aim toward my ears just above the coffee table. However, I do have plans to raise the center channel. Current TV is LCD RP so wall mounting is not an option. I've got a pannasonic Plamsa 65GT30 burning a whole through my amazon cart now but will be a couple of months before I can get it. When that happens, I will wall mount the TV and likely use the axiom vp180 stand which will raise the center channel up to a more desired level. I will say that I have noticed no problems with the vp180 at its current location though.

Regarding the wires, thanks for the tips. The QS8 above the window is mounted in all studs and I drilled about 10-12 holes up there (moved the QS8 a bit during initial install) and they were all in studs. I assume that it is pretty much just horizontal 2x4's stacked from the window up to the crown molding. Combination of the roof line and the angle of the vaulted ceiling makes it seem impossible to get directly above the Speaker wire location on the window side while in the attic. Perhaps I would need to cut into the dry wall and remove the crown molding a bit to accomplish what you are suggesting? If so, patching and re-texturing the wall would not be that big of a deal. I may be able to move the surround wire back up through the attic and stick out behind the QS8 on the other side but I need to pull some insulation back and take a look.

My immediate goals was to get all of my speakers wired up and ready to go. As time permits I hope to experiment with ways to hide the wires better so your comments are definitely welcome.

Thanks.

CatBrat #356445 10/10/11 02:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
First cat male, 2nd cat Female. Seems odd the male is the scardy cat. Usually the other way around. My female used to be a scardy cat, but not anymore. Her personality has radically changed since I've had her.

Hmmm... Do her eyes roll back and forth a lot?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #356448 10/10/11 02:14 AM
Looks great, David! I wish I had a room that size and that....ummm...non-cubey.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
terzaghi #356643 10/15/11 05:12 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
The QS8 above the window is mounted in all studs and I drilled about 10-12 holes up there (moved the QS8 a bit during initial install) and they were all in studs. I assume that it is pretty much just horizontal 2x4's stacked from the window up to the crown molding.
There is a solid header(usually a couple of 2x8 or 10s depending on length or even laminated beam material) above a window making it solid wood across the top. I wouldn't be drilling holes through this header, it is there to carry the weight above the window, around it and to the bottom plate. If you are lucky there might be a small cavity between the drywall and this header to run the wiring. I would be able to do this in my house but I saw this place being built so I know there is room there.

Quote:
Perhaps I would need to cut into the dry wall and remove the crown molding a bit to accomplish what you are suggesting? If so, patching and re-texturing the wall would not be that big of a deal.
I think this might be the best option in this case.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #358876 11/18/11 06:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Very nice !!!

Try to find my Cat on my Gallery wink

Last edited by Chevy; 11/18/11 06:53 AM.
jakewash #358878 11/18/11 06:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Very nice !!!

Have a look on my Gallery you will find how looks Axiom QS-8 Mounted on wall with the optional Axion FMB (Full Metal Bracket)

I had the oportunity to run my wire into wall & use Rocketfish wall plate. it's a tuff job but it's worth it !!!!

For my Right spkr i had to open the wall, add an extra stud & repatch it after.

Cambridge Audio 640r,M100,VP150v3,QS8v3,EP500v3
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020