• URC MX450 Remote Control
• URC 350 RF Module
• Panamax POMB850 Battery Back Up
• Axiom ADA1500 8 Channel Amplifier
• Axiom 1 Pair M100 Boston Cherry Tower Speakers Front Left & Right
• Axiom VP180 Boston Cherry Center Channel
• Axiom 2 EP800 Boston Cherry Subwoofers
• Axiom 2 Pair QS8 Boston Cherry Surrounds & Surround Backs
• Axiom 2 Pair M3 In Ceiling Dolby Atmos Speakers Custom Factory Painted to Match Ceiling
• Samsung Bluray Player
• Bell HD TV
28 Comments
Re: Axiom Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Cinema
#415612 11/25/15 07:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow!! shocked

That's a stunning set up.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
#415616 11/25/15 08:36 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yeah what Fred Said is Right.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#415618 11/25/15 09:07 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
This must be the showroom Nick found in his facebook group.

http://www.averyaudio.ca

#415621 11/26/15 03:04 AM
devotee
devotee
the room is beautiful, the seats look super comfy too! and of course the gear, well, it's ab fab! I do have one question. I am wondering, in your ATMOS environment, how well do the QS8's do for surround duty? I ask because I too have 4 QS8's in my 7.1 and I'm also upgrading to ATMOS in the next couple of months and I want to keep my Q's in the system and just add ceiling speakers.

I've gotten some grief (and to be fair, some support) in the forums about my choice to want to keep the Q's in because folks say it's not what dolby wants/recommends, the Q's are not monopoles and won't work right/sound right in an ATMOS environment. they believe it will possibly mess up the "intended" ATMOS sound. so, I ask you, since you have them in your ATMOS setup, does it sound good to you or do you wish you had monopole surround speakers instead. I plan on keeping my Q's for surround duty when I upgrade to a 7.1.4 system.

thanks in advance for your time and I'd love to hear your thoughts/review of the Q's in an ATMOS setup.

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #415630 11/26/15 11:06 AM
F
fheinzler
Unregistered
fheinzler
Unregistered
F
I asked David Cobb of Dolby and here is his reply:

"Yes, we do recommend monopole speakers for the side and rear surrounds and placed around ear height or midway on the wall.
I have never heard the Quadpolar technology but would think that they diffuse similar to a dipole type speaker which are very good for 5.1 environments where you are trying to simulate an array of surrounds channels similar like found in a 5.1 Cinema. Since all speakers in a Dolby Atmos Cinema are now discrete and arrays are no longer used, we recommend using monopole type speakers but I would suggest experimenting with your current speakers as peoples tastes vary. I personally would suggest monopole or tripole type speakers because you want to have direct sound coming toward the listening position for the best experience in my opinion. The reason we suggest placing the speakers at ear height or at the midpoint on the wall is to allow separation between the overhead speakers and the surround speakers. If the surround speakers are placed too high on the wall the overhead experience isn’t as pronounced because the surround channels cause a bit of interference so the more separation the better." - David Cobb

I believe that the only true way to know is to set up a room with both configurations and do some testing as Axiom suggests:
Axiom Double Blind Listening Tests
I personally love the QS8 surrounds. - Fred

Last edited by fheinzler; 11/26/15 11:17 AM.
#415633 11/26/15 12:54 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am surprised as to how close to the walls the speakers are put. Going on the many books and reviews, the sound off the speakers would be reduced so close to walls?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
#415660 11/28/15 05:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Fred,
What speakers did you leave running off the 2040?

#415662 11/28/15 07:21 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By fheinzler
I asked David Cobb of Dolby and here is his reply:

"Yes, we do recommend monopole speakers for the side and rear surrounds and placed around ear height or midway on the wall.
I have never heard the Quadpolar technology but would think that they diffuse similar to a dipole type speaker which are very good for 5.1 environments where you are trying to simulate an array of surrounds channels similar like found in a 5.1 Cinema. Since all speakers in a Dolby Atmos Cinema are now discrete and arrays are no longer used, we recommend using monopole type speakers but I would suggest experimenting with your current speakers as peoples tastes vary.

I personally would suggest monopole or tripole type speakers because you want to have direct sound coming toward the listening position for the best experience in my opinion. The reason we suggest placing the speakers at ear height or at the midpoint on the wall is to allow separation between the overhead speakers and the surround speakers. If the surround speakers are placed too high on the wall the overhead experience isn’t as pronounced because the surround channels cause a bit of interference so the more separation the better." - David Cobb

I believe that the only true way to know is to set up a room with both configurations and do some testing as Axiom suggests:
Axiom Double Blind Listening Tests
I personally love the QS8 surrounds. - Fred

howdy Fred, thanks for that response, however, I don't want to know what David Cobb of Dolby wants or thinks, (don't get me wrong, I thank you for posting that quoted bit of information, it's good reading) I want to know since you have the 4 QS8 surrounds in your ATMOS setup, what do YOU think of them and how they function in that setup. do you like them in that setup or are you not liking them and possibly why to liking or not liking. I'm desperate to get people with an ATMOS setup using (or have used) QS8 speakers in said setup to respond.

no matter which way it is, I'd like to know. I've had lots of people give their opinion about what they think it should be and those people don't have ATMOS with QS8 speakers as surrounds. so, my friend, that is why I so desperately want your opinion. I have QS8's for surrounds and will be upgrading to ATMOS in the 1st quarter of next year and will add ceiling speakers but want to know from others about the QS8 surround sound with ATMOS.

Last edited by solarrdadd; 11/28/15 07:35 PM.
#415798 12/03/15 05:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have QS8's in Atmos, and I'm wishing I had direct firing instead.

The post above is spot on. You want identical direct firing speakers in the back, and you want them at ear level. No more mounting the rear's high. I tried that with my QS8's since they were high originally and it was HORRIBLE. Defeated the Atmos effect entirely. Keep surrounds AWAY from the ceiling. The more seperation the better. Same thing with the ceiling speakers, get them far apart meaning line up the ceilings with your front speakers. My ceiling didn't allow that...darn hvac and pot lights. Still works, but not ideal.

You also ideally want ceiling speakers that you can aim at the mlp.

Will QS8's still sound good? yup. Will in ceiling M3's work? Yup. But ideal they are not.

Just as an addition, my advice of ALWAYS using two subs also still stands. Don't buy one great big sub, buy two smaller ones if you have to. Two is always better. Granted two big ones are even better.

Last edited by newf; 12/03/15 05:25 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020