twodan,
I have a cd in my collection that has the odd skips and persistent stutters depending on which cd player i throw it into. It is probably just a badly burned disc. I bought a new U2 cd not long ago and it would not play at all. I had to bring it back for a replacement. Again, probly just a badly burned disc. They are rare but it does happen.

That kind of oddity aside, i have also skipped discs when the vibrations got to be too much however i have not been able to do this in quite some time (i.e much older equipment, cd player w/o oversampling, speaker sat on the same surface as the cd player, etc.)

Hence my thoughts offhand, if the cd is new and you have not played it before, it could very well be the cd itself. See if you can't check it against another cd player or even your own again but on lower volume levels. Replay it several times just to be sure and if it is defective you should bring it back.
It is easier to replace a cd than have to start buying newer equipment or accesssories if the cd player laser bouncing is to blame.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."