Bridgman, good write up. It was nice to meet you and another forum member pitbull(?) at the picnic.

I really enjoyed the day and it's a shame but understandable that more people could not have attended.

First off, thank you very much Axiom for inviting us, it truly was a beautiful day in Muskoka and a great drive (but rushed from Toronto. I don't think I had a record time but the minivan was hauling.

Everyone made me feel very welcome and was eager to answer any question, even if they've been asked it a hundred times.

I was just in a daze pretty much all day though, I had come to the home of Axiom and was ready to finally fill in the rest of my home theater. I had started with a VP150 over a year and half ago and knew as soon as I seen it, especially when I heard it that I needed more Axiom speakers. The day was finally here, but when 3 seats were removed from the minivan the wife was concerned.

The anticipation of getting my new system was overwhelming but to actually go to the place where they were built and to meet the people who dreamed them up and created them was awesome. Originally 60's were on the list, then QS8's and negotiating with the wife up to the day I left landed the 500.

Ian was personally touring us around the factory and it was hard to follow along as there’s sooo many distractions. The WHOLE Axiom speaker line, the 80’s on the wall for the floor workers, the staircase up to the sub pole, speakers absolutely everywhere, things we were possibly not supposed to see, the machinery, the production line with 4 or so different custom finished M80’s, the DSP sub amp processing line, and Whoa...what's that...Michael Jackson...I think....yup, Smooth Criminal....let's go see what's behind the door...the listening room.
The listening room was great, I found myself going in and out all day It consisted of 80's, VP150, QS8 and an EP500 and EP600 on a switch box. We brought in some 50's later in the day. This is the room where they do the double blind tests. I must say no matter what we had on, speaker wise, it just sounded fantastic. As far as I know we were just playing different CD’s with specific tunes to demo the abilities. When I first came in to smooth criminal it was playing with all speakers going and the EP600. WOW, I could not imagine ever needing that much or more. The 600 alone was worth the trip up, what an amazing and scary piece of technology. It was not fair to the 500 when going back and forth. I was debating whether or not to get the 500 after listening to the 600. Don’t get me wrong, I bought it and I love it, but when we switched back and forth…the 600 just moves so much more air, you feel this bad boy.

I never really noticed how loud it was in the room until I went outside for a bit and realized I had a hum in my ears. The sound was so crisp and clean you just wanted more and it didn’t seem to be unbearable. I had no sign of exhaustion/listening fatigue. After a bite to eat back to the room and Tim ( I believe) an Axiom employee was at the controls and had some music just pumping. There was an SPL meter lying on the table and I think it was going from high 90’s to 107? Tim was quick to offer me sit beside him as they have 2 chairs in the sweet spot. It took awhile to get our names as we were a couple inches apart and could not hear the words coming out of our mouths. No one wanted to turn down the music though. I’m not sure how anyone could listening to music much louder and could only ask that Tim or someone posts the actual SPL/Decibels we reached in that room. I do know though that the 2 amps we were using had the Red lights flashing and Peter(?) tapped Tim on the shoulder and pointed over to the amps.

I’ve gone on much longer than anticipated, I have only had a very short time to play with my new set up and I love it. I am also very glad I went with the 500 as it easily is way more than I need for my room. I finally understand the whole Darla Tap scene Any concerns have been squashed and I know if I had a 600 my house would collapse. A few employees and I were joking that Axiom should have a dry wall compound/putty to fix the cracks in the walls the subs will make.

Again, thank you Axiom.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss