>>I’ve changed my plans so many times now, I suspect folks are tired of dealing with me Tom.

I can assure you that is not the case. What happens, I think, is that we look at every new thread and make a quick judgement as to whether we have enough knowledge or ideas to respond properly. I looked at your post and thought "uh-oh, I'm out of my depth here, will come back when I can think about it for a while before responding". It's a good thing Tom got things started though or the rest of us would probably still be on the fence

I haven't heard QS4s but AFAIK they do sound very similar other than below 100 Hz. The only issues with mixing 4s and 8s I can think of would be (a) 4s won't play as loud as 8s so you would probably have to use them as rears (like you suggested) to avoid limiting the rest of the system, (b) 4s roll off more sharply below 100 Hz so unless you had a multiple crossover receiver (eg. HK, Onkyo) you would probably have to run a 100 Hz crossover everywhere. I would definitely try to go with 8s if you can, if only for the flexibility.

I would have no qualms about mounting the 8s flush against an angled ceiling as long as I was confident the bracket would hold. The only reason I'm not doing that is that the angled ceiling stops too soon on one side of my room.

Will the QS's be actually overhead above the couch or out at the sides ?

I think we're all worried a bit about running an array of speakers as the center channel because the result may be "blurred" imaging from all the drivers reproducing the same frequencies, but I sure don't know enough to tell you if it's going to be a problem or not. Tom's point about impedence is a good one -- you would probably have to wire them in some kind of series-parallel arrangement to keep the impedence at 4 ohms or higher and Alan mentioned earlier that series wiring of speakers can be pretty problematic.

As Yoda says, "mediate on this I will"

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8