basically, my family just bought a sharp 45" lcd flat panel tv. Now I am considering purchasing a home theater system to compliment it. I am thinking of getting a 3.1 system for now and possibly upgrading it to 5.1 in the near future. Now the sharp tv we bought already has 2 sound speakers attached to the tv (on the side) and they can disattach. Now, becuase I don't know anything about sound system, i don't know if they can take the place of anything or if they are any good.

1.) so if i was getting a 3.1 system for now, what are the parts i need. a receiver, center speaker, subwoofer, (2 front speaker or two back speaker)???

2.) which brand or axiom model would you recommend for these parts. I am open to anything as i probably have to shop around in my local sound system store (i reside in Vancouver, b.c.).

The system is pretty much for my parents and they are not picky about sound. So i am not looking for the top of the line stuff. but decent system that look good, has decent sound and dependable quality to match the expensive lcd tv. maybe around $1.5-2k for now with additional purchase of parts in the future.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.