I have two movies that I own that seem to have a weird anomaly with regards to the aspect ratio. They are The American President and The Abyss Special Edition. They are both 2.35:1 movies.

I'm using a Pioneer 578 through my Denon 3805 and into my Samsung HL-P4663 DLP.

When playing these two discs, I get only a small display in the center of the screen, approximately like so: (simulated picture)

The above simulates what I'm getting with the player set to widescreen, progressive output, and the monitor set to 4:3. If I set the monitor to 16:9, the image stretches across the full width but looks stretched.

The only way I can mostly fill the screen is to go into the pioneer's menu and turn off the progressive scan. Then, and only then, my Samsung gives me the ability to "zoom" into the image and essentially fill the screen. Neither option is really acceptable: Either a small, good looking picture or a large, non-progressive "zoomed" image.

Now, I understand that the 2.35:1 ratio is going to be much wider than 1.85:1, etc… but why isn't my image still at least filling the screen side to side? I know I'll have black on top and bottom, but why on the sides?

Is this just a weird Samsung anomaly, or are the discs not "flagged" correctly or something?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::