Onkyo owners, I have an issue with my new Onkyo 703 that I am trying to resolve as to whether it is operator/ setup error or a faulty receiver. I have had this issue from the get-go.

The issue is that I have not been able to get my subwoofer to work using the subwoofer preout.

It should have been a fairly easy swap of the old Kenwood receiver for the new Onkyo. Just pull the cable out of the Kenwood and into the Onkyo.

Here is what I have checked so far:

1. Onkyo setup menu to insure that the subwoofer is turned on. In the Speaker Configuration, the subwoofer is shown to be on. I have tried turning it off and on a couple of times. I have tried various settings in the setup. In the level calibration, I have the subwoofer setting all the way up to +12dB, and nothing comes out of the subwoofer during the "pink noise" test. All of the other 5 speakers test OK.

2. I have checked the subwoofer cable with my multimeter. Everything checked out OK. Just to be sure, I used a different cable. Still nothing.

3. Read the setup and manual settings sections of the Onkyo receiver several times. Nothing of help in there.

It is a bit puzzling that when I turn the Onkyo on and off, I get a slight "thump" coming out of the subwoofer. This leads me to believe that there is an electrical path from the receiver to the subwoofer. Receiver just may not be sending any signals.

So, my question is: are there any "magical" setup settings that I ought to try before contacting Onkyo?

Any ideas?

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV