At first I thought my EP350 was broken. It is connected to my Pioneer's 'sub out' RCA jack for LFE. All the rest of my speakers are 'small' so sub for those should go to the '350 also. My wife and I were listening to a non-surround source (HBO movie I think) at fairly low volume (kids sleeping) and the sub had gone to sleep - no sound, yellow LED, etc.

I thought maybe the sub was broken, or perhaps the receiver was, since it must not be outputting anything on the 'sub-out' channel. Then I realized, at that low volume there must not be enough bass to wake up the 350. Sure enough - this morning I fired up a similar source at low volume and slowly turned it up. At a not-low-but-not-loud volume the 350 woke up and kicked in.

So I guess my question is, does this amount to a different kind of 'bass hole'? That is, if all my speakers are 'small' which sends bass below the crossover to the sub AND volume is low enough not to wake the sub up, am I missing out on the bass altogether? And/or, would there be any appreciable bass with 'large' speakers at low volumes?

Incidently, for surround-sound sources the 350 gets action even at low volumes - whenever I see the 'LFE' LED blink the 350 'does something' at virtually any volume.

-Brian

2xM60ti, 2xM3ti, 2xQS4, VP100, EP350, N2's