That is great that you have listened...because now we are starting to agree. I said quite clearly that while more expensive pieces CAN sound better....they do not always - you have said that as well.

Cables are more of an enigma. I agree with your comments on those. Above medium quality, I can guess there would be, and measure differences, but I have great difficulty discerning them. So I choose to stay away from purchasing them.

(See, our thoughts are very similar)

The point about aesthetics is another area we seem to agree on. I feel that finish is an important factor in speakers. The fact of the matter is that I have invested considerable time and money in decor, and will not sacrifice this with cheap looking speakers. But as you say, often times this is the area the designer will move to. Some are not simply great looking speakers with little or no extra attention placed on the internals, but more completely designed, with known areas targeted for improvement. This goes back to the expensive and good or bad sounding point.

Another area you mention is about individual preference.....something I state in most of my posts - that audio is subjective. Again, we agree.

Also, I have stated from day one that measurements are not the definitive item to choosing pieces. Many people look solely at specs, and decide from these. As I have said time and time again...what did it sound like? You seem to agree here too.

As for your closing comment, about a combination machine, if the designers can't get a 1 function machine correct, what chance have they of getting a multi function machine correct? I keep my systems separate, and view combo players as convenience appliances - again stated many times in posts.

But I still have not heard anyone explain how the speakers can repair the problems caused by sources.

I think we are going in circles on this. We seem to agree on most of the points in the thread! If I may paraphrase you :
"it's a complicated relationship between physics, psychoacoustics, and personal preference (which happens to be unique to every individual)" is EXACTLY my thinking, and have posted this many times.

Nice chatting with you. ;)

Regards,

BBIBH