I did all the speakers first, then started the LFE calibration part on the DVD. The first ‘chapter’ starts out by cycling LFE to each speaker and the sub. It will send the LFE to the L main for about five seconds, and then it sends it to the sub for about five seconds. After cycling these two several times, it moves to the center speaker and sub, then the R main and sub, and then the surrounds. The disk instructions are to adjust the sub’s gain until there is no change on the meter (slow response at C). This is where mine are screwed up. When it is cycling this LFE test tone back and forth between the two mains, the Sub’s LFE noise is about 10 DB higher than when cycling between the rest of the speakers.

I’m not real sure why this test is done; maybe it’s there to make sure that the speaker X-over settings are set correctly. I’m going to try changing those some and see what happens. After reading the manual some, the 7300 has the option of selecting the mains as large, all the others as small, but still maintaining the LFE channel and X-over settings. I might give that a whirl too.

Something is not right with my set up though. We watched LOTR’s last night and this time I kept my meter close by. Normal volume during talking scenes and non-action where averaging 60 dbs, but during the action and LFE loaded scenes the volume was hitting 95 dbs. I’m not positive but this seams to be a pretty huge jump. Has anyone else checked volume during this movie??