My brother is considering, actually salivating, about buying this Dell large 30" LCD monitor for his computer (he's got near $1800 saved now for a new one soon).
Why he needs a monitor larger than most people's home televisions, i don't know. He just bought a 50" Pioneer plasma and i told him to use that instead for his big screen gaming, but to buy something more resonable to fit his desk.
Anyway, that aside, he is very keen on buying this monitor and as mentioned he is a big gamer with the online FPS genre (Rainbow Six, etc.). From what i know of the native resolution of this Dell monitor and the given gaming capabilities even with SLI setups, i do not believe his gaming experience will be all that functional. The resolution is so high that gaming at 2560x1600 would drop his frame rates into a far less playable rate (game dependant of course). The option of using a lesser, non-native resolution tends to create awful images.

Thoughts?
Should he consider buying this for a gaming monitor given the present technology or should he realistically think of a 24" or less perhaps to ensure his gaming experience will not be slowed?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."