I finally got around to calibrating the speakers and sub today (m60's, m2's, 150, svs box with 2 12 inch woofers) with a panasonic digital receiver.

I used avia and something very wierd happened. When I would test the right or left mains to match them to the sub, the test tone for the sub was louder so of course I turned the sub down on the receiver volume. I turned it all the way down and still the sub test tone was too loud so I started turning down the volume on the sub.

Eventually I had the sub volume all the way down so that no sound was coming from it, and the supposed subwoofer test tone was still louder than the mains. I finally realized that the sub test tone was coming out of the left or right main and the sub, and with the sub off it was still coming out of the left or right main speaker and it was 3 or 4 db louder than the test tone for the main speakers.

Next I tried the test tone for the center/sub and this time the sub test tone was much lower. So my question is, do I calibrate to match the sub to the center? I had always heard that you should match it to the mains but obviously that isn't possible.

BTW, my mains are set to small, 80 hz crossover and the sub crossover is inactive.