Hello, car stereo types...

So, I've mentioned before, I've got Delco 4-ohm 6x9s in the garage for speakers... they used to be powered by a Sony home boombox-type thing that I hacked up a new amp circuit into... the CD-player was on it's way out when I moved it out there, and has since completely given up the ghost.

I decided to replace it with a cheap car head unit. My question is - how to power it. I originally had plans to use a 12v 3A (I believe - I think it's still at my parents') power supply I snagged out of a vending machine years ago. Reading the manual that came with the unit, it lists supply voltage as 14.4V, max 15A current consumption. So what is the best way to power a car head unit from "shore power"... that 12V 3A supply? I notice Princess Auto has a 15V, 2.4A wall wart type... I'm prefering to stay away from the high-end HAM radio type stuff if possible... and the same with messing around with an automotive battery to power it... that's just too much hassle for what it's worth.

How much current will a head unit really require if not pushed like crazy... 15A seems awfully high - my battery charger is switchable 2A/6A... 2.5x it's peak current output seems a bit much, no?

Any insight would be appreciated. Car audio is not my forte.

Bren R.