Quote:

What? This is news to me. Is this the result of the emotivas or is this common with the m80's to have a little hiss because of the high sensitivity? I would like to know before I throw money down on an emotiva product. Otherwise, I'll just get Harmon Kardon 645 or something. Just curious.

All I can say is that when listening to the same source material, Hiss: LMC+LPA > Pioneer+LPA

In my case, it wasn't enough that I had serious concerns about it. Again, the only time I noticed it was during a couple of quiet passages of otherwise loud listening, and I really only noticed it two or three times. To be fair, it could have been the recording, I suppose, but I have never noticed background (non-recording related) hiss on my Pioneer+LPA setup, even listening to those same tracks where I heard hiss on the LMC+LPA.

Someone over on AV123 said that it's conceivable that the LMC-1 might have hiss problems with highly efficient speakers. Their theory was that because the LMC was beta-tested by mostly AV123 forum people, who mostly own less-efficent Rocket speakers, noise levels might not have been an issue. I have ZERO evidence to back that up, and its only some random persons opinion, but it makes sense. Take it with a very small grain of salt.

I'd highly recommend that you try out an LMC-1 for yourself before coming to any conclusions. You'll get your money back if it doesn't work out (except for YOUR shipping costs). I'm proof that Emotiva definitely stands by their 30 day guarantee.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/11/07 06:23 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office