Cut this from a post where I began commenting on Toshiba's new Web Enabled 'features.' I felt it got way off topic so I moved my rant here.

------------
I actually don't have a terrible problem with copy protection when it's done correctly (well the rebellious, overcome it just because they told me not to, side of me hates it) but I can understand why content producers would want it.

However, I do have a problem when it goes wrong. Case in point. My hard drive recently crashed and was unrecoverable. I bought a new one and set about reinstalling Windows XP and everything else. When I go to download and run the Service Pack, I get a message saying that my registration key is invalid because it may have been used/owned by someone other than me. This my original CD that came with my Dell so it is most certainly mine. I never used it to set up anyone else's PC either.

I don't know if it's seeing the new hard drive as a new PC or somebody used a random key generator and happened to come up with mine but it urks me to no end. I can live without the service packs. I'll just tighten up my firewall and antivirus, but then I get the same thing when trying to install DirectX. OK now it has gone to far!! It's interfering with my gaming!

Since I was not willing to pay the 130 dollars for a new 'valid' key as the web page suggested I do, I had to resort to less than legit methods to get my PC working.

Now if I cared, here is the moral dilemma.... Was it wrong to use less than legit methods to get my PC back & running again or was it justified because MS is preventing me from using something I paid them good money for originally.

I'd think about it more if it bothered me.

That's my copy protection rant of the day. Chalk it up as a Microsoft rant too. I'd run Linux if I could play Vanguard with it. Next PC will be Linux while I keep this one as a dedicated gaming box.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.