I have recently come into possession of a new receiver (yes, those who are following these threads know it is an Onkyo 805, but it is not relevant to this post). OK. So, here is my experiment. The receiver allows me any settings from 40hz to 150hz by 10hz increments.

My mains are M80, subwoofer is EP-500. For the past 3 hours, I have been trying 80hz, 60hz and 40hz for the M80s. So far, for music (classical), I seem to prefer the 40hz setting... but, quite honestly--and I have a good ear--I cannot tell of THAT MUCH a difference (a spectacular tribute to the musicality of the EP-500) betwween each settign unless I put my hand on the EP-500 and I can tell than there is definite difference in vibration level (so the crossover IS a factor).

My question to all of my fellow Axiom owners and lovers (how can this NOT BE a direct own/love relationship!) is as follow: Have any of you used a receiver capable of that much "resolution" in its digital cross-overs with an equivalent set of speakers and experimented with those x-overs.

THE REAL QUESTION: For music, it is a no-brainer for me that, givent the depth of the M80, a cross-over of 40hz is more likely to give me more balanced/controlled basses than 80z. BUT, will that come to the cost that most movies will not give me such a great response (at 40hz for the mains) as I have been having since I have the Ep-500?

SUMMARY OF QUESTION: Have any of you had to deal with a music/movie cross-over dilemma with these speakers before, and what were your conclusions?

Thanks in advance.

See Mojo's signature