Well I finally took some time and hooked up the VP150 and VP100 for a listen. I played LOTR due to its extreme dynamics with whispers and explosions in the center channel. My setup was with both centers on my mantle and just simply plugging and unplugging the banana clips into each speaker and listening to certain parts of the movie with each speaker, nothing scientific but I could hear a difference right away. Some of the difference is due to the 6ohm VP150 playing close to 2db(76 vs 74) higher than the VP150 when I checked for calibration with pink noise. Some scenes were simplied caompared by plugging and unplugging each speaker during the scene to check for tonal differences.

My initial thoughts about the VP150 were correct, it does have a slightly lower tone to it than the VP100. The vocals are a little deeper and wider spread than the VP100. I have always felt male vocals on the VP100 were perhaps a little to high pitched while listening over the years with the VP100. To correct this I usually set the center to large and it did help. For this comparison the center was set to small and the usuall crossover 80hz.

The vocals on the VP150 were what I was trying to achieve with the center set to large with the VP100. The VP150 has more of a realistic quality to it that is hard to describe, airy, open might works as descriptors. Male vocals sounded as they should and I could hardly notice a difference with the female voices. It also sounds more dynamic during the explosions, it appeared to add more punch to them when compared to the VP100.

The downside of the VP150 is the vocals are not as crisp or clear/forward as they are on the VP100, this reminds me a little of the difference I hear between the M60 and M22, but not as discernable. During some scenes (whispers, soft voices) the vocals seemd a little muffled, slightly hard to hear, on the VP150 and not so on the VP100 even with a 2 db deficiet.

My conclusion is that you really can't go wrong with either speaker, both have outstanding clarity and detail, but I would suggest the VP150 for medium to large rooms, with its better dynamics at louder volumes and the VP100 for smaller intimate areas as it does sound a little cleaner, more detailed making it easier to hear the voices at lower volumes.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70