JC,

Another thing worth mentioning, seeing how you’re looking at projectors.

I use a Panasonic 1000U. I am enjoying this projector very much, but it does have some short comings that I’ll consider for my next projector. I have recently been trying my hand at video calibration with an Eye-1 Pro meter and third party software. I feel I have this unit calibrated as close to D-65 and the 709 color rec as possible. After getting the unit calibrated properly, my Ansi CR sucks…. It’s a miserable 120 and the On/Off CR is only 1200/1. When I calibrated the unit, I ended up turning the Dynamic Iris off. This hurt CR, but improved the grey scale tracking significantly. With the DI on, my mid gamma was getting blown out.

So my leanings from calibrating this unit is to look for a projector that has excellent CR, without the use of a DI. Currently, the JVC is the only projector that does this. I am keeping a close eye on the RS2.

What I do not want to give up though, is complete primary and secondary color / gamma calibration. The Panasonic has this without going into the service menu. I’m not entirely sure if the JVC allows these adjustments or not. Another really cool feature the Panasonic has is its wave form monitor. This enables the user to calibrate brightness and contrast perfectly.