JC,

I do not have HD satellite where I'm at. I can get a whopping six channels, but only if I put up a second, 48" dish. One ugly dish on the side of my log home is funky looking enough....

So..., when I bought the VP-50 I was wishfully thinking that it would improve SD satellite. It did to some degree, but it's still hardly watchable, especially now that I have HD and BR DVD...

DVDO is shipping the PRO model out to me this week and I will let you know if it does any better than the VP-50. If it doesn’t, it’s going back and I’m selling the VP-50 as well.

Mosquito noise, as far as I know, is not really a trade name, but a type of noise. The PRO targets edge detail noise, where the “Mosquito and /or Flea” from Algolith targets edge - and random noise. It’s my understanding that both of these units will do a better job with Satellite and SD DVD noise reduction than the VP-50 Pro.

One thing the VP-50 does extremely well at, is upconvert SD/DVD. It also doubles the frame rate of native 1080P/24 HD to 1080P/48 for a much smoother, judder free HD image and it does an outstanding job at upconverting 1080i. So all is not lost, but to me, four grand can be spent more wisely elsewhere than an external VP nowadays.

If you are not in a hurry, I just read a thread at AVS where Jason Turk is going to set up a shoot out this January. I’d go to that if I could…..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=924611