I had the pleasure of hosting dharmatone, an occasional forum visitor, at my home yesterday evening so she could audition my Axiom M22ti speakers. She spoiled me by bringing a delicious pizza and a bottle wine for my troubles.

She got right down to business and went through a great selection of old and new opera recordings (Carmen and Das Rheingold are the ones I recognized), some classical (Brahms and Schubert), Buena Vista Social Club, and Joni Mitchell's Blue. I put in Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on SACD to close out the evening. Occasionally, I would disable and re-enable the subwoofer so she could compare the sound with and without. Needless to say, we both agreed the M22s really sound their best when paired with a musical sub. (Mine's an SVS PB1-ISD.)

During one of the opera selections, we were listening at my Onkyo's limit (the volume display said MAX) -- louder than I ever take it -- but there were no signs of stress.

Before she left, she asked if I'd recommend the Hsu VTF-2 to pair with the M22s. Without a doubt was my response.

I believe we'll soon have another proud owner of pair of M22s. (Incidentally, they'll replace a pair of KEFs she bought in 1978!)