Originally Posted By: BrotherBob
... "What I find interesting is that once people experience separates the rarely go back and the ones in denial have never used separate components." ...

And are often the most outspoken against using them.

John, seems to me one of the problems going with separates all the way is finding a good processor. I'm using an HK AVR635 as a processor via the Rotel 1080 amp for the 80s but am looking to upgrade somewhere in the not too distant future ... what would you suggest as a good (great!) processor?

Richard,

Currently, there are no good alternatives for a true Pre amp that will handle HDMI audio and all the new codecs. What I mean by ‘true’, is one that does not incorporate a video processor of some sort into the data stream. If one were to go with a ‘true’ separate system, they would also use an external video processor.

Having said that, there are two Pre amps worth a serious look. The Integra 9.8 and its Onkyo Pro Sibling, the 885. Unfortunately, these two use a Reon video processing chip, and it’s been confirmed that the reon does alter the video stream, unless you completely bypass it, and when you do that, you loose the menu system.

Anthem’s AMV40 is another good choice, but it’s limited to HMDI 1.1 and it does not handle all the new codec’s…perfectly.

Cary Audio had a relatively new PrePro, the 11a, but….it must be used with their, soon to be released, stand alone video processor, the 11v. The 11v will have HDMI 1.3 and it will be the machine that decodes the new audio codec’s. After the 11v decodes them, it will send the unpacked PCM data to the 11a for further processing via its own proprietary, Cary audio Link cable. A weird and not so elegant solution….

So….In my opinion, the Denon 3808 is the best, most cost conscience choice for use with an external amp. That is why I went with it. It’s not too expensive, handles the new audio formats perfectly, have a GUI that works perfectly with any video stream, and the Video processor can be turned off….but yet you can still use the GUI.

That sums it up for right now, but I’m pretty sure that within 12 months, there will be numerous choices.

Oh, I almost forgot. McIntosh is in the HDMI / HD game now. They recently started shipping some very, very serious contenders. But in typical McIntosh fashion, don’t look if you don’t have about thirty grand.