Hi, all.
I'm back again with continued questions on the one issue I'm currently trying to understand (on the denon 3808). I wanted to listen to a "zone 2" on patio speakers (just 2) outside. I have the 7.1 hookup with rear backs (now my m22s). I understand now that analog is what has to be passed - meaning hooking up rca cables (which I was hoping to get rid of). Anyway, I'll do that if necessary, but here is the answer I got from Denon which makes me think it will be impossible even with rca cables. I'd like to listen outside (never at the same time as the 7.1 setup so could just use whatever source is selected for the main listening area) so I'd be glad to change the main area to 5.1 in the options in order to do two channel outside but there is not such offering as to powering the speakers. Here is his reply: Go into the menu go to manual setup than go to option setup go to poweramp assignment change it to zone 2. Rewire the speaker wires to surround back amp assign. The surround b is not like a speaker a & b they are for biamping purposes. For the zone 2 control make sure that anything going in digital you will need to run rca cables the receiver does not down convert digital signals.

Can anyone help? So the speaker surround b's are only for bi-wiring and are otherwise not useable? I have my rear backs wired into rear backs on the denon, not surround b (that is where I hooked up speakers from outside). Am I understanding right? My yamaha had the speaker b ability, so when I saw all the jacks, didn't think twice about ordering the denon assuming I could use them like I needed to.

Now, while I have you here, may I throw in one more observation? I have noticed that my directv 10-250 is for some reason now when the system is being turned on, deciding to set itself to 480 when my current channel is clearly hd and in 1080. I've literally watched the light move to that reading on the 10-250. I then have to manually move it up to 1080 (just involved hitting a button on the remote). Is this the denon doing something perhaps? I have it on auto on the scaling and resolution settings. My tv is 1080p samsung led dlp. Didn't notice this in the past, but its what you get when you change up a bunch of stuff at one time I guess. Anyway, curious if anyone has had this or is it a direct snafu just corresponding to my new purchases? Thanks in advance for helping if you can on these things.
Laura (quadgirl)