So... before the Warner announcement I had already decided that HD-DVD was the way to go, and even the "which Toshiba ?" question was simple -- save for an XA2, and if I didn't save enough get one of the less expensive but still excellent players.

If I go BluRay I don't even know where to start. I would be looking for a BR player which could also upconvert standard DVDs pretty well. I have a 720p projector which takes HDMI in (and apparently likes to be fed 720p rather than doing the conversion itself) and an HK630 receiver which does not take HDMI in and presumably can not decode some of the newest audio formats even with a firmware upgrade.

Do the BluRay disks also have soundtracks in older DD/DTS formats which can be used with slightly older receivers, or is there a way for the player to resample down to DD/DTS so that I can at least get DVD quality audio over a digital link ? Or do I finally need to get out the crimper and make up a 7.1 analog RCA cable ?

Any suggestions for players to look at ? I skimmed the new stuff announced at CES but nothing jumped out as being wonderful with the limited details I had time to read. Budget under $100 if possible, of course ;\)

Last edited by bridgman; 01/10/08 03:37 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8