I don't know John. I have loved my AVR 1082 (same as 3802) and there's still nothing wrong with it. I got it when it was a current product--can't remember how long I've had it (4 years?). I previously had a Pioneer Elite receiver, and the Denon has much better sound quality not to mention has been more reliable (zero issues w/ Denon, while channels went out on Elite). Certainly the 3800 series has continued to improve, but as I'm looking to get a new receiver to go along with a complete change out of speakers (have M80s, 150, M22s, and 600 sub on order), I would anticipate that the NAD T785 is most definitely a step up in power and sound quality vs. what I have and even vs. the current 3800 series offering. Though at what I know is $2,400 (retail is $3K) from very good local audio store for the NAD vs. what I assume will be around $1,200? for the Denon, I'll concede that the Denon is a better value. And I have not listened to either. I'd be shocked if the power difference is not a significant adavantage in favor of the NAD; one nice step up from the T775 to T785 is the inclusion of twin Holmgren torroidal power units. As for dynamic, accurate, rich sound at both low and high volumes, I can't imagine the NAD doesn't have the edge! Look, I am a huge fan of Denon sound. Denons are certainly more reliable than NAD products, and Denon has the technology edge right out of the box on audio formats. I even feel guilty given that my 1082 works perfectly. Still, the T785 has got to be (and ought to be given it sells for the full $3K retail from Audio Advisor for instance) a step up from what I have and vs. the 3808.