Originally Posted By: mapatton

Not players, the media (the movies themselves.)
The cost of the player is really insignificant relative to the cost of media.
I am format neutral from last year. Between the BD30 and AS35, I have about $725 into the pair.
Though its only been a few months, the library has 15 HD-DVDs and 21 Blu-rays.

Even at a say a low price of $20 each (which is NOT what I paid \:\) ), that represents $720. So in just a few months of ownership, the media itself as basically equaled the cost of the players.

To build another analogy, lets look at DVDs. Lets say you have about 300. Even at a low ball price of say $7.50 each, that is a $3600 investment. That makes the cost of any DVD player (even say a high dollar unit) really pale in comparison.

With the format war, the consortiums were funding incentives to the consumers. Now there is no format war. There is no need for the consortium to offer incentives. Can;t remember a BOGO since the announcement (other than to clear titles not moving). I had someone say well its after Xmas, did you really expect them? I said yes, why not, I was gettting BOGOs back inAug last year.
I hope I am wrong, but,,,,,,,

I guess I have a different perspective because I rarely buy movies. I have been format neutral for about 5 months now, but I rarely buy movies. The only movies I've bought are kid's movies because they watch them over and over and over and over. Otherwise, I get them from Netflix. The few exceptions are what I consider to by my all time favorites (Matrix I, Transformers, Raising Arizona, POTC I, and Princess Bride)

Besides, every studio had a lock on the content from the get go. it's like like other studios were free to distribute Matrix I.

Last edited by Hansang; 02/18/08 07:14 AM.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers