I have the Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player. It has now essentially became an expensive SD-DVD player, but I have no regrets; it is arguably the best upconverting player around and this will be valuable as long as we have more SD-DVDs than BR discs. I think Toshiba developed the HD-DVD format better than Sony did for the BR. Now that the format war is over, one hopes that the players catch up to the profiles and are offered at a cheaper price.

To answer Eric's question, I will post Wikipedia's excellent explanation:
"On November 1, 2007, the Grace Period Profile was superseded by "Bonus View" as the minimum profile for new players released to the market.[65] With the exception of the PlayStation 3, profile 1.0 players cannot be upgraded to be Bonus View compliant.[66] On December 17, 2007, the PlayStation 3 became Bonus View 1.1 compliant through PlayStation 3 System Software version 2.10.[67] When software authored with interactive features dependent on "Bonus View" hardware capabilities are played on profile 1.0 players some features may not be available or may offer limited capability. Profile 1.0 players will still be able to play the main feature of the disc, however.[68] The first BD Live titles (War and Saw IV) were released by Lionsgate in January 2008, despite the fact that no players existed to play the web-enhanced content.[69] BD Live (Profile 2.0) players are expected to be released in early 2008. Various reports have indicated that the PS3 will be updated to support the specification, taking full advantage of the player's Ethernet and Wifi connectivity and hard drive storage space."

John

Last edited by ihifi; 02/19/08 06:08 PM. Reason: wikipedia was mispelled

John
Our HT