The higher the SPL, the bigger the difference I noticed between the A1400-8 and the Yamaha DSP-A1 (110w/channel). At SPLs above say 65-75dB, you no longer need blind testing in my room; the difference hits you and puts a grin on your face. The amp can take the M80s to a level of performance at high SPLs that I never experienced or believed possible with the Yamaha. What I also found surprising was that despite the high SPL levels, my ears felt satisfied rather than disturbed; i.e., that sense of disturbance one feels from loudness did not seem to exist at SPLs that I knew would with the Yamaha (likely from clipping, distortion, and compression). At lower SPLs, I think I hear a difference, but I would prefer blind testing to be sure. I have never owned a separate amp before and honestly all the amps that I auditioned (Krell TAS, Anthem A5, Lexicon LX-7, Classe, and some others) in different rooms sounded wonderful to me. Lets just say that to my untrained and very biased ears, the A1400-8 sounds at least as good as these.

John

John
Our HT