Jason and I punished our eardrums some more today. It proved a nice distraction from my HP laptop woes.

This will be short and sweet. The two subs are miles apart in terms of sound and performance.

In my 4,000 cubic foot entertainment space (which opens up to the rest of my house via a tall staircase), the PB12 was under-powered. We could hear it cutting in and out when it was pushed. And I still had plenty left on my Denon's LFE output gain to punish it with.

The SVS had a good "thump" to it that I absolutely loved for movies. The 600 really tortured my fireplace during the U-571 depth charge scene as usual. The SVS was far more gentle but again it had that "snap" that is missing from my 600.

The thump was still there for music with the SVS and initially I exclaimed "That's what I need. That's what I'm talking about.". But after watching the Eagles Farewell Tour I for a while and switching back and forth between the two, I wasn't so convinced anymore. The EP600 involves you in the bass more. The bass isn't just "on top" with the 600; it is weaved in between all the other notes.

My wife also had a brief listen and she preferred the "softer" sound of the 600. After Jason left, she had an extremely unusual reaction to the SVS. She said she doesn't ever want to hear bass like that again!!!. Sorry Jason. She wasn't sure if she should be so forward when you were around. She said...and I'm quoting..."I couldn't pick out all the notes.". After she made that comment, I realized that some, and most likely even I, may get tired of the SVS's snappy, thwacky sound.

So I'm still looking for that sub that will exude involving, transparent, deep bass like the 600 but at the same time have that "snap" that hits you in the chest. Maybe I'm just asking for too much.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated