Originally Posted By: HomeDad

Whey protein with some fruit added is an easy low fat and low calorie way for me to have pre and post workout snacks, and get many of my much needed amino acids.

Eating real food with some supplementation I can assure myself I'm getting most of what my body needs, and that makes planning healthy meals and watching caloric intake an easier task.

Sounds like you have a good fitness plan going and no doubt various forms of supplementation are likely going to be effective for you and other people with very active lifestyles. I’m not trying to trash supplements or promote some form of dietary naturalism, I was only pointing out to most of those reading who aren’t likely to be fitness fanatics like us that most forms of supplementation won’t buy them much more than more expensive urine. I should also throw in for them that it’s wise to consult their doctor before starting any sort of supplement program.

I used all sorts of supplements until I started working out with a member of the Marine Corps power lifting team in New Zealand in the mid 80s. He taught me that proper diet and rest were just as important as the workout, and that I like most people was using supplements for and excuse to not eat right. From then on I’ve cooked all my meals for the whole week except dinner on one of my days off. I carry packs of salmon, tuna, oatmeal, even baby food with me as emergency backups.

He also taught me to stop following other people’s workout routines and take the time to figure out what worked best for me by experimenting and keeping logs.

Now I eat 5 meals and drink 3 shakes a day. The only supplements I take are a multi-vitamin (peace of mind) and exercise/climate specific potassium and sodium. Well and beer (or is that a necessary food group?)

Last edited by grunt; 04/13/08 12:46 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1