In reply to:

Are they really a must have

I enjoyed my home theater before I experience MCACC/YPAO (I've had both in my home) but I now enjoy it more with the EQ feature. For me, future receiver upgrades must have this feature. I believe that Pioneer and Yamaha have set a precedent with the auto EQ feature and other manufacturers will have to follow if they want to keep up. I can't help but believe that the EQ function will soon be standard on most "mass market" receivers and that it will only get more sophisticated with each gereration.

In reply to:

also ... which is better... pioneer or yamaha?

"which is better" could mean a lot of things but here a few of my opinions. If you want a definitive answer to this question, you may have to wait for third party reviews from the "audio press" such as Home Theater, Stereophile guide to HT, Audioholics, or sushi.

As far as:
Sound quality - I liked them both and couldn't say that one sounded better than the other. You must listen for yourself to be sure.

Build quality - They are both hansome in apperance but the Pioneer Elite has a more elegant look and feel. To my untrained eye, they both seem equal in build quality. I'm sure Masa (sushi) has a better take on this than I do and I know that he will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

Features - Both have an amazing feature set but with some slight but significant differences ; manual EQ adjustment and front presence channels just to name a few. You'll have to decide for yourself which is better depending on your needs and desires.

It's realitively easy to audition them in your home. Tweeter Electronics offers a 30 home trial period and a full refund if you return within 30 days. They also have a 120 day trade up policy ( I got them to agree (in writing) to 6 months). I firmly believe that an in home trial is the only way to get a good feel for these products.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.