What a wonderful and civil place.

I'm not down on Sean (Parque, the Ninja). Sorry, I just can't bear to refer to him as The Ninja any more. ;\) He seems like a good, smart fellow. People I trust and respect (Rich and Jack) have judiciously urged us to assume positive intent.

His approach is interesting and opportunistic. Without having to negotiate driver manufacturing agreements, be responsible for an overall design philosophy, or be burdened by the bulk of enclosures, he found a concept by which he can indulge his passion for audio and leverage business based on an already-successful internet-direct manufacturer while still feeding off of the customers' insatiable and often unquantifiable need to tweak. Effing brilliant. Seriously.

I believe his products make a difference. I believe some people will prefer that difference. I believe some people will find the value proposition in that difference to be compelling.

-----

I hope we can all agree that Sierra Nevada makes a line of pretty delicious craft beers and that the company is reasonably successful.

Yet, there are dedicated SN drinkers out there that want "more". They try other beers, of course, because there is no long-term financial investment that precludes doing so.

What if I was to devise a proprietary "Sierra Nevada Flavor Supplement"? Contains more hops! Live yeast! Just a drop in each glass will make your beer taste fresher, richer, more complex!

Now, apply my example to speakers, or perhaps Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. Some people would be curious enough to try it, and blind testing might even reveal people who prefer the enhanced version.

However, those that place a premium on craftsmanship or design integrity will simply switch to a wine they like better.

Of course it is about the music, the flavor, the sound. And - unfortunately for some - those are NOT the only factors that translate into our enjoyment of the experience! To me, it remains as much about the expression of the artists.

Relative to music, we continue to discuss reproduction of that artistic expression. I choose to honor all those craftsmen integral in providing me with the experience. Because doing so makes me happier.

Often, the genius inherent in this liquid architecture and the mechanisms of delivery transcend even perceived shortcomings in fidelity.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem