Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Imo it doesn't really matter what the stock crossover cost as long as the owners of the M22's enjoy what they are hearing.

I would love to see all the jabbering about this end, and get some actual results to determine if there is a great improvement made to the sound of the speakers. And again Imo for 317.00 a 67% increase in the price of the speaker it needs to be significant.

I would bet most people buy the M22's for their great sound and low price. So now we will have a speaker that costs $787.00 a pair, in that price range I'm sure there are many speakers that would compete pretty well with modified M22's.

Certainly the total cost of nearly $800 changes the competition, even if the sound is great. I personally would expect a fairly dramatic improvement for that sort of cost. (reminder: I haven't heard these and have no idea if I think they're worth it)

I would, however, like to point out a couple of things that may affect that obstacle. Using, as an example, the Onix Reference 1, which I have heard pre/post upgrade, and is one of his more popular kits, I would wager that there aren't a ton of people buying a Ref 1 new for $1200 and then buying $400 worth of upgrade for it to get a brand new $1600 speaker. There are some pretty darn great speakers out there for that price.

I suspect that the primary scenarios are 1. bought it used for $400 and upgraded it for a killer $800 monitor; 2. Had it for 5 years now and love it and the upgrade is cheaper than selling it and buying a better speaker; 3. Willing to spend for a nicer speaker, but really don't want floorstanders because of space requirements/WAF/preference/etc.

If somebody here has M22's and has had them for quite some time, maybe $300 is more appealing as an upgrade than trying to ebay them or whatever and buying something totally different, or maybe they really don't want to move to M60's because they want to stay with the form factor. I'm not saying the cost vs. benefit argument doesn't apply, because it absolutely does. I'm just saying that there probably aren't many potential buyers who are going to buy both in one shot.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio