Interesting. I too experienced a light hum when I used the RCA outputs of my pre-pro to the A1400-8. Same outputs from the pre-pro to a Yamaha receiver (used as the amp) did not produce any hum. I disconnected all sources, grounded the pre-pro to the amp but there was still a hum. By the way, I had the same LC-1 cables and no cablevision cable with a different ground in the system. Since the pre-pro also had balanced outputs, I finally exchanged the LC-1 cables for balanced cables and the hum went away completely.

In one of the reviews for this amp, I believe the reviewer used RCA-to-XLR adapters and successfully eliminated the hum. Those who sell these adapters simply assume that you know what you are doing. But do people really know what they are doing? There is a 3-6 dB difference in balanced lines; what about the need for an impedance matching transformer? Bottom line is that I would ask Axiom before going ahead with any wiring/connection unless you know what you are doing (though a name like SolidSate certainly suggests that you do \:\) )

John

John
Our HT