Originally Posted By: Worfzara
Hi Dduval

I am glad you are enjoying the M80's.

I suspect that you will hear less distortion at loud levels (100 db+) with the Emo due to the increase in headroom. At lower levels, probably not so much, but I am interested to hear your thoughts when you get it. I am of the school that most amplifiers sound pretty much the same, unless you are spending really big bucks $3000 or more. The most important thing to remember about an amplifer is the quality of it powersupply.

Personally I think you have more to gain upgrading a pre-amp. I think this can colour the sound much more than the power amp.

Keep us informed and enjoy your new speakers!

paul

Yea Paul I agree 100%

Just started to upgrade, so the goal is to definitely get a good pre amp down the road (sooner than later I hope). I was actually thinking of maybe a Denon 3808 to use as a pre, then I can use the rest of the 3808 to power my center and surrounds, and of course eliminate some cords with HDMI inputs.

I get a little perplexed here, I have always wondered if a standalone pre is better (sound quality wise)than a AVR used as a pre...your thoughts??

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740