Originally Posted By: Zimm
And, some films are now recorded in digital from the start. I think Collateral was filmed in digital, so animations are no longer the only pure digital signals. And DK was in IMAX, so you have a transfer to deal with, but the amount of information is so much more (100% more actually) that the impact of any transfer issues is much less than traditional film.

My 2 cents...

True, but digital does not mean a clean picture. Digital and film are both just different ways of capturing video. One put it on a filmstrip and the other on to some digital media. If there is a smudge on the lens, it is there on film AND on digital. Not that I would think that a camera man would have a smudge on the lens, but just as example. The recording straight to digital and not to film just makes it easier to add digital special effects (CGI) later on, and makes sure that each copy of the video is an exact match, but again digital does not mean better quality.

Ad for DK and the IMAX filmed piece, there is still a transfer that needs to take place, even if the original source is as outstanding as IMAX. I think that the transfer for DK was excellent, but all transfers are subject to whatever setting are used during the encoding process. With DK, they got the settings right.

Now that I've said all of that, I honestly don't think that I have used any animated video as part of a demo. It has always been a live action flick. Even my demo DVDs that I have (and I have about 35 of them) I usually skip over the animated movies and go for the action ones, or ones that show off ambient sound and good video pieces.

Farewell - June 4, 2020