I agree that this could turn ugly quickly.

With that said, does it really matter who they "help out"? Either way it is the tax payers footing the bill. I just think that if any government is going to hand out "our" money, that there need to be stipulations as well as checks & balances put in place. Make them actually DO something good with the money that we've given them, not just pad the exec's pensions and bonuses. Much like the lenders bailout without ANY stipulations, just a "Here ya go! Enjoy!" handout is wrong in my book.

So should the government "help out" the auto industry? My quick answer is "no". The government is here to help/protect/serve the citizens, not the companies run (mismanaged) by those citizens.

It isn't as clear cut as that, but without diving into every angle and aspect, that it what my opinion is. Others will argue that the "helping out" of the auto industry will in turn help serve the citizens of this country with jobs, etc, but I am not a person that thinks that we should just hand out billions of dollars lightly.

Farewell - June 4, 2020