Originally Posted By: Zimm
Laura, we now know a good deal about your system. But I did not see any details on your room and setup. The amp problem is just that, an amp problem. You can get a new or used amp from many well known companies and not have to worry about the issues you have right now. Two channels would like do it, as the 3808 can clearly run the other channels. Open any audio website and the trusted names will be published and reviewed often - e.g., Parasound, Krell, Bryston, McIntosh.

But I'm struck by the fact you have the 3808 as a pre-pro. You are nearing the price of separates, and have separates, yet you have a wasted amp section in the 3808 and a sub-par pre-pro for the price. Why didn't you want a dedicated pre-pro? Just curious.

Given the general confidence that people have in the 3808's amp section, and the size of your room, I'm thinking you could use some time/money on speaker placement and room treatments. You are clearly willing to pay to get good sound, but no amp or tube will fix the first order reflections blurring your image, or the modes of your room causing muddy bass, etc. (It will fix loud, which I like!) Have you plotted the frequency response of your room? If not, try that. If/Once you have that data, you will find lots of advice here about how to improve your room to get the most out of what you have - which is plenty for an audiophile system, with or without a separate amp.

Thanks, Zimm. I didn't go with dedicated pre/pro because I'm still learning and when I got the denon at least I knew it would be a great receiver with the proper number of hdmi jacks and good video stuff. Thought it would be the end of the road, but then I've kinda tweaked my analog setup and wanted to be sure I was doing what I could with that. I have a crazy setup and room is at a premium. I'll try to post an image somehow, but I also run a simultaneous quadraphonic system (wait 'till you see the huge La Scala fronts) with all that dedicated hardware (that is all upgraded and/or in great condition) and even a small panasonic receiver that now uses analog out of directv hd-dvr to drive my bose outdoor speakers mounted on my patio (old yamaha did this, but denon uses those two channels to run my channels 6 and 7, so bought used little receiver). I love my quad stuff when I'm in that mode, but I love my more pristine sounding 2 channel and hi-rez stuff when I'm in that mode, so I guess I have a nice system for a schizophrenic! I like what I like, so some people just wouldn't get it, but it is cool. Anyway, I digress. I will try to put a picture here and you might get to see my 1963 Ami/Rowe Continental Jukebox too (all this is why I have fun but not the savings account!). Thanks for the input, everyone, on amps. I'll be watching audiogon most likely - I'm scared to try anything with modules again, so will probably stick to the bryston-type amps. And, in the meantime, I may just find that the denon is fine. Oh - big thanks on the room treatment idea. I believe that will be a weak link and maybe hard to remedy - and wish I understood about the curve things, but all I have done is setup with audyssey (too many times to count). Someday I might get there. Thanks again. Happy beer in a tree!
Laura