Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:
After that I am looking for material readily available to build sound panels and besides the acoustic fabric in-front of the speakers that is going to be "all" that I do as start-up for the HT.

I assumed from the above that you would be covering the false wall in fabric, though re-reading it I don't know why I reached that conclusion. Thats why I suggested putting the fibre board behind the false wall.

Putting fiber board behind drywall would still give you absorbtion, but I don't know what the effect would be. That would be a question to post on one of the two forums I linked to.

First of all thanks for everyone that replied so far. I realize two things 1) there is no "easy setup" \:\) and 2) The specs decides the product and I was simply not clear enough in detailing my setup so I am going to try again since some answers are based on the correct setup and some are not.

1) Existing front wall is dry-walled, painted and has a window in the middle. It also has a ledge that sticks out 6 inches and goes from the floor and up for 40 inches.

2) I want the screen to go down to 30 inches over the floor so I have to start in-front of the ledge (or I couldn't go down far enough).

3) So in order to attach the screen I am going to do a "false-wall" from each side of the room all across. Basically a wall with studs 12-16 inches apart.

The speakers will be in FRONT of the false wall so between the couches and the wall. So the fabric covering the false wall will not have to be acoustic in the sense of letting sound through

OK so current thought after the posts

1) Put bass trap in the corners - try to make it so I can access and pull out if I don't like how it sounds

Question -- would it defeat the purpose if I built the bass trap from the ledge and up (subwoofer and speakers will be on the floor)

2) Put a few panels of Owens Corning or similar on the back wall (behind the false wall). One reason is that the window will only be covered by plywood. These panels will be 2 inches thick and with gaps between them in order not to kill the sound

Question: Same as for the bass traps. It is significantly easier to just do over the ledge, but I am guessing that would defeat the purpose so will do between the studs on the area below the ledge - does this sound ok?

3) The False wall will be covered with a thicker black fabric that is not see-through so you can't see the studs.

Question -- this material should not matter correct?

4) I will put the speakers in the right and left corners. I may do some kind of cutout so the speakers get more space to the wall. Then I will frame around the speakers and put up acoustical fabric in front of the speakers so they are not visible (young son that gets into everything).

Question: Should I have some kind of hard material under the speakers or just putting them on the carpet is fine?

5) I was planning on building something to put the Center on in the middle -- any suggestions or is it simply better to just put it on the floor and angle it up? (24 ft long room)

Now the stuff that is up front is obviously of main importance to me right now. This involves construction that is not so easy to change. Panels on the wall etc can be built later and added to or subtracted from as I test out different things

Thanks to everyone - your help is very much appreciated