fhw,
Thanks for the complement!

My 60s anchor my 5.1 HT system, and I often listen (in 2 channel mode) to classic rock, classical and some jazz. (I am not an opera fan) on both CD and vinyl. I listened to music and DD DVDs on both speakers. And I can honestly say that for HT, the differences in the speakers did not seem all that great. (probably due to the fact that much of the critical vocals come from the center channel) My critical listening/comparing came from 2 channel stereo (with my sub turned off)

I am very familiar with the listening fatigue problem that you mention. That is why I cannot stand to listen to a horn loaded midrange (or mid/tweeter) in a speaker. It sounds great for about 5 minutes, then YEOUCH! My ears go flat and the sound becomes almost painful to listen to.

In all honesty, I will say that certain music tends to have that effect on the 60s. I think it's more the Pop music that was recorded "hot" with emphasis on midrange. Since the 60s have so much more "presence" than the 50s(my opinion/description), then I believe this recording effect is exagerated. I accepted that small amount of that effect because the high frequencies were so clean, crisp and clear (is this a speaker - or a beer advertisement?) And I just love sparkling highs! (aaahhhmen) And I think the extra driver and crossover point in the 60s is what makes such a critical difference from the 50s. Yes the 50s still DO sound good. But they ARE more softer and/or mellow. So many singers voices do not "stand out" as much. But its really not muffled.

I will give you similar advice that I used to give young GIs when I used to sell stereo equipment in Germany. Since you admit that you seldom set down and "really listen to music" and evaluate the sound as a critic, then your evaluation choices are different from someone who does. My advice was: don't spend the money if it really isn't that important to you. Do worry about what someone else thinks. Do what makes you happy. You would very likely be happy with either. The 50s cost less, weigh less, are a bit smaller and are slightly less precise (accurate) in sound and imaging (to ME!) BUT if you don't have a pair of 60s to compare them too, I don't think you would know that!

I hope this helps you. But if you have other questions/concerns, I will be glad to answer/offer help in any way I can.

LUCK!

Randyman

Last edited by Randyman; 05/24/02 01:46 AM.