Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
 Originally Posted By: SolidState
Take for example a white LED. We use them all the time today in flashlights etc right! Do you guys realize that we don't have ANY scientific assertion that explains how it works!

Much like your comment about how test gear cannot compete with the human senses, this statement is also wrong. The human realm of sense is severely limited, and easily fooled. Test equipment can measure, distortion, amplitude, frequency, and phase variation with more accuracy and consistency than a human who can't directly compare two passages separated by five seconds of time, and is often fooled into thinking something sounds better simply by increasing the volume. Think too of optical and aural illusions as an example of how easily our senses can be mislead.

That's not the point of this post. I don't know where you go the idea that the designers of "white" LEDs don't know how they work, but they do. I put "white" in quotes, because white LEDs generally do not emit white light. The most common kind are actually blue, in the 10000 Kelvin range, which fool our limited sense of vision into seeing white. Others which actually do have a more complete spectrum use a phosphor mix, similar to that used in (cheap) fluorescent lights, and the diode emits UV light which is used to excite this phosphor. The third style combines 3 diode junctions which each emitting coherent light centered at red, green, and blue respectively; the combined light appears white.

If what you are saying is true then WTF doesn't Audioholics just simply post test equipment measurements plot them on a graph and be done with the review! Why are not speakers simply reviewed online like say video cards with simple graphs showing what's best! If what your saying is true then why don't we have test measuring matrices to show the difference? There are many sonic properties that can't be quantified as you suggest by test equipment. I personally believe this to be fact. Sure people are stupid at discerning what the sonic change is due to our limited sonic memory and yes DSP can fool us but they do discern a change of some sort. All I know is interconnects IE calbles etc can make a difference as can capacitors and inductors in a crossover circuit. Can test equipment measure such change? To that all I can say is I don't know 100% but I feel it very unlikely. If test equipment can't measure the change does this mean it's BS and placebo! No friggin way... I've done blind tests and have personally witnessed change.

Solid-State

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 07:22 PM.