Originally Posted By: SolidState
If what you are saying is true then WTF doesn't Audioholics just simply post test equipment measurements plot them on a graph and be done with the review! Why are not speakers simply reviewed online like say video cards with simple graphs showing what's best! If what your saying is true then why don't we have test measuring matrices to show the difference? There are many sonic properties that can't be quantified as you suggest by test equipment. I personally believe this to be fact. Sure people are stupid at discerning what the sonic change is due to our limited sonic memory and yes DSP can fool us. All I know is interconnects IE calbles etc can make a difference as can capacitors and inductors in a crossover circuit. Can test equipment measure such change? To that all I can say it's I dunno 100% but I feel it very unlikely.

Have you looked at Audioholics reviews? They are very close to that. They measure and report the specs of the gear. They talk about features which may be useful (or not), build quality, and that's about it. They don't talk about how "chocolaty" speakers sound or "dancable" the cables are. That's the reason I liked the site so much, and how I found Axiom (to keep this on topic). I've become a little more disappointed with them recently after they've opened a store and are selling products which compete against others which they are reviewing.

Yes, interconnects can degrade a signal if they are improperly designed. But any cable which to able to provide enough bandwidth to transfer the signal it is being asked to carry, does not have too much capacitance or inductance where it begins to act as a tone control, and has enough shielding to prevent interference; will sound/look the same.

Can a human in a rigorous, double-blind test be able to identify such a change beyond statistical probability? I feel it is unlikely.

Speakers are one of the hardest pieces of equipment to talk about objectively. They are by far the least accurate piece of the chain, and are affected to a greater extent by the listening environment. Simply turning one's head a degree to either side will have a much larger impact on the sonic reproduction than one 5% vs. a 1% capacitor in the crossover. Even the weather or one's mood is going to change the listening experience to a greater extent. I know on days when there's a nice breeze blowing through my living room and the smell of blossoms in the air, all my music sounds better--and that costs nothing.

EDIT: Please describe the procedure for your blind (not double?) test.

Last edited by ClubNeon; 08/20/09 07:36 PM.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris