Originally Posted By: Micah
I'm going to back this thread up to where it was claimed we don't understand how gravity works. Keep in mind I'm don't work for any University or Physics lab or anything like that, but I know how gravity works. Anything with any mass what-so-ever has it's own gravitational pull. That's because 'stuff' is made up of atoms. Atoms are electronically charged, therefore they are magnetically attracted to eachother. Therefore anything with enough mass will attract anything else with mass. It doesn't really become that obvious until you gain as much mass as a planet or a moon. The bigger the planet or moon, the more gravity it possesses. It's really not that hard to understand.

\:o HOLY CRAP! Did you just solve the conflict between the principle of gravity and the principle of magnetism? If only Einstein had been so lucky he may not have spent his whole life [well, 1929 to death] in search of the Unified Theory...and more importantly, I could have just read one theory of his and skipped all the wine needed to shake out of my funk over my minimal contribution to this world. \:D

Quote:
In physics, a unified field theory is a type of field theory that allows all of the fundamental forces between elementary particles to be written in terms of a single field. There is no accepted unified field theory yet, and this remains an open line of research. The term was coined by Albert Einstein who attempted to unify the general theory of relativity with electromagnetism. A Theory of Everything is closely related to unified field theory, but differs by not requiring the basis of nature to be fields, and also attempts to explain all physical constants of nature.

There may be no a priori reason why the correct description of nature has to be a unified field theory; however, this goal has led to a great deal of progress in modern theoretical physics and continues to motivate research. Unified field theory is only one possible approach to unification of physics.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire