We have a lot of coyotes on PEI now. They are not native and only came across the ice in my lifetime to make a home. Rabbits are starting to make a comeback but they were almost wiped out and foxes starting getting very bold as their food stalks started to be shared by the competition.

Coyotes will definitely hunt larger prey than their wiki inscriptions might imply and can be a serious pest. Locally, we have had a serious issue with cats, small dogs, old large dogs, sheep, calves, basically anything that two or three of them could drag down.

Farmers have countered by renewing the age old practice of keeping a donkey mixed in with the livestock. Donkeys kick coyote ass, literally. Lamas also became an odd but common sight as they seem to share a donkeys hatred for coyotes. Actually, now you see herds of lamas where before people would stop to take a picture of one.

Last winter I had an unusually big one wander through my backyard on his own. It was the first time I saw one up close. I've always assumed they were thin and mangy looking as often described but this guy was well fed and had a relatively nice coat. Only his coloring and his long, rabbit hole poking snout let you know for sure he was a coyote.

I haven't owned a gun since high school but there is a continuous bounty on them here and if they keep getting this bold, I might invest in another.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.