-10dBV mode OR is it hot pin 2

should read

-10dBV mode OR is it hot pin 1

How is the XLR terminated on the A1400-8? is Pin 1 signal ground and pin 3 chassis ground with hot pin 2?

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

In particular this is of interest...

"The second column in Figure 5 shows unbalanced outputs driving balanced inputs. Again, only shielded 2-conductor cable is used. The best case here has both ends of the shield connected to units whose shield is chassis-grounded (Figure 5e). Some may argue that the induced noise on the signal conductors may be injected into the "sending" unit through the unbalanced output stage. This is a function of the system and output circuit, and is quite likely. Disconnecting the shield at the unbalanced output might reduce this problem. (affecting my uncle with LC-1 and included adapters)

When units with signal-grounded shields are encountered, disconnect the shield at the signal-grounded end (Figures 5f & 5g). This keeps the noisy shield currents out of the audio signal ground. If both units involved have signal-grounded shields, you've entered the twilight zone again (Figure 5h). Support your one-end-only political party (Figure 5l)."

I intend to terminal at the A1400-8 XLR, Hot pin 2, signal ground pin 1 and shield to pin 3. On the source RCA single ended I intend to connect hot pin 2 to RCA tip and signal ground to RCA ring AND leave shield open/unconnected at the RCA. Is this the best way to avoid noise and have the Ice module go into -10dBV mode? Also why would Tom direct me to connect to Hot 2 with nothing on pin 1 and signal ground to pin 3? From my understanding this would result in Ice module going into +4dBu mode no? Why direct me to do this with no balun? I didn't do it as it's bad advice considering I'm use -10dBV consumer line level. Other than the -6db result could this not damage the input and output stages on each device?